Saturday, July 23, 2011

Shirred Romper

I never did get around to making the shirred romper with long pants that I had planned, so I made it as a shorts/bubble style.  I used this tutorial, but made a few changes.  I didn't want straps that had to button, and could picture in my head some elastic straps with a little flutter sleeve.  I tried it, and they turned out awful, so I switched to just some plain cased elastic straps and they were much better.  I had read through the tutorial a few times, but I had not realized that the crotch was designed to meet face to face instead of overlapping, and I didn't care for that, but I had already cut the fabric before I noticed.

I thought I had measured carefully, but it ended up just a little short and she was showing much more chest than I like.






Since it was too short for her to wear again (after squeezing her into it once), I had to come up with a solution. I didn't have enough fabric to cut off the bottom and turn it into a top and bloomers, so I added a small panel to the crotch that is sort of hour glass shaped. I cut out two pieces and sewed them together, flipped them right side out, then top stitched them, and sewed one end to the inside back of the romper. The panel is about 3 inches, so added about 1.5 inches to the length and it now fits so much better.  With the addition of the panel, I was able to change the snaps to overlap, and I like it much better.

I didn't get a great picture of the crotch, but you can see the better fit.





I really love this color on her. I chose the fabric based on some colored snaps I already had and wanted to use up.

No comments:

Post a Comment