Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fabric Storage

This weekend I finally finished a fabric storage plan I had been thinking about for quite a while.  My sewing room looks so much more organized and cheerful!  It isn't done yet, so I'm not ready to share photos of the entire thing, but I will share this one small area for now.  Someday, I will get the curtains made, the lamps recovered, and all the clutter cleaned up.  Then I will take photos of everything in the room.

The entire area.

 Here is where I am keeping all the fabric, ribbons, and ric-rac I use to make my dinosaur dresses.  The piece hanging on the wall on the upper right has always been there.  It is a quilt rack with a shelf and has been very handy for hanging fabric and ribbons and such.  Now it only holds the pieces I have cut and ironed that are ready to be added as the lower contrast bands on the dresses.  The dinosaurs that are cut out and ready to be appliqued are up on the shelf, but are almost impossible to see from this angle (on the far left, next to the frame).

Fabric rack.

 This is my new (to me) fabric rack.  It is holding the fabric for the main body of the dresses that have been washed and ironed.  The rack is 1/4 of my kids' old crib.  It was a round crib, so it is curved.  It is hanging from two curtain rod brackets and the lower edge just rests against the wall.  The crib had a cherry finish, so I painted it white to go with my room.

Ribbon and ric-rac storage.

The ribbons that are cut to length and heat sealed and the ric-rac are hanging on a cane that my grandfather made.  He worked with wood his entire life and when he had difficulty walking, he started turning canes.  Like the crib side, it is also resting on curtain brackets. 

Overall, I love all my new storage, but could already use some more.  I'm not sure where I would put more though.  Maybe once I get the rest of the room in order I can decide if there is room for another crib side or cane somewhere.  The best part?  Total cost = $15 for two sets of curtain brackets, and some spray paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment