Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tooth Fairy Pillow

I made a tooth fairy pillow as a birthday gift for my son's friend.  I think this will be my "go to" gift for birthday parties this year, assuming the child will be around the age of loosing teeth.  Poor Benjamin always gets my prototypes since his birthday is usually the first of the school year.  I have had the design in my head for a while, but had not gotten around to making one until I had the deadline of a birthday party to get me moving.  I like how it turned out, but there are a couple of changes I will make the next time I make one.


The front has the tooth fairy and a little pocket tooth.  I had some fusible batting that I used as stabilizer for the embroidery, and I still can't decide if I like it or not.  It gives it a little "puffy" appearance, but I don't know if that is good or bad.


I might hand stitch the tooth next time because the sharp turns on something so small are hard on the machine.  It was also difficult to see if I started and stopped my stitching evenly (I didn't).  I either need to mark it better or do it by hand so I can see better.




The name ended up not being centered and I know how to fix it for next time.  I did all of the embroidery first and the fabric was then folded in half so the fairy is on the front and the name on the back.  Unfortunately, I didn't leave myself enough play and I could not get both images centered.  Next time, I'm going to cut the fabric into two separate pieces.  I thought eliminating one seam would be helpful, but it just caused more problems.

I am happy with how it turned out though and love that these will use up some of my larger odds and ends of left over fabric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment