Sunday, June 22, 2014

Project Linus Quilts

Earlier in the year, I made quilts with each of my children's classes that were donated to Project Linus.  I have been meaning to make more blankets for them, and I finally have a batch ready to go!

 All stacked up and ready to go.  I'm going to try to drop them off in person at one of the many get-togethers the local chapter holds.



 They look so pretty all nicely folded.



 This quilt is being donated in honor of a friend's baby that was born with a heart condition and survived for 23 days.  His favorite thing was his duck blanket/comforter, and he happened to have a fair amount of blue striped blankets and clothing.  His name will be attached to this special blanket when I turn it in.



 There are three different backgrounds for the ducks and all were fabrics I had that were leftover from other projects.  This one says, "I love mommy" and, "I love daddy on it."


 I had a surprisingly hard time time finding blue striped fabric, so I had to improvise a bit.  This one is very pale, but is a white and light blue stripe.  

The other background is just a solid medium to light blue.  The ducks themselves are all different, and I learned that I do not use much in the way yellow fabric and was bailed out by a friend who delivered some yellow scraps to my house so I could finish my last yellow duck.



 The backing is a bright yellow ultra cuddle that is super soft and snuggly.  I used the ultra cuddle for most of the blankets and my only complaint about it is how much it fuzzes all over when cut.  After trimming the backs to size, I look like I have tangled with a Muppet.



 I'm not a big fan of the current chevron craze, but I think it is really striking as the binding.  I was hoping it would look sort of stripe-ish.  It doesn't, but I still really like how it turned out.


 This one was too large to get in one photograph, but hopefully you get the idea.  It is a single piece of dinosaur flannel with a blue ultra cuddle back.  It is a yard and a half of fabric, and the largest of the blankets in this batch.  I made this one right after purchasing a new walking foot for my machine.  I wanted to practice on a single piece of fabric instead of a pieced top, in case I really messed it up. 



 Instead of binding the blanket, I folded the ultra cuddle over.  I like it, but had some trouble with the corners.  Some went pretty well, while others would not lay right no matter what I did.  I will probably try this method again, but I need to work out the kinks.




 Since this one was so simple, I appliqued a dinosaur on the back to make it a little more custom made.



 With the exception of the binding, this one was all scraps left over from other projects.



 It is a little hard to see, but there are tiny stars on the blue fabric and on the bear fabric.



 A closer look at the stars.



 The backing on this one is a thin, almost furry, blue and white stripe fabric, and I embroidered, "Twinkle, twinkle little star," on the back.  The backing fabric was left from my diaper making days.  It made a great lining and I stocked up when it went on clearance.  I had used a fair amount, but still had quite a bit left.



 This is another blanket made of pieces of leftover scraps.  The big red squares are a minky dot fabric that is very soft and nice to pet.  I was nervous about using red and white next to each other, but since everything was pre-washed, I went for it.  It came out of the wash fine, but now there is some bleeding on the left side.  This one has been done for a while and was sitting a plastic bag.  I wonder if some condensation got in and it bled then?  I would have noticed when I inspected it after washing and drying, and it wasn't there then.  I'm going to see if I can get it out before dropping it off.



 You can see the raised bumps on the minky here.  The pale green squares have little farm themed pictures on them.



 The backing is another ultra cuddle, but this time I went with the bolder dots pattern instead of a solid color.



 It makes a very vibrant backing.



 This was a pre-quilted panel that a friend gave me.  Her boys had long since outgrown Thomas the Tank, and she asked if I could find a use for it.  All I had to do was bind the edges and I had plenty of the blue fabric left over from my son's class quilt to do this one too.



 The back was already on since it was pre-quilted.



 It's very bright and colorful.



 This was another piece of Thomas material my friend gave me.  My kids aren't really into Thomas, but it's perfect for making a blanket to donate.  I left the piece she gave me full size, then added a border using more of the fabric from my son's class quilt. 



 The green, blue, and yellow matched perfectly and are a great finishing touch for this blanket.



 The back is ultra cuddle scraps I had leftover from other blankets.  I pieced them together and used them for the backing.



My husband saw me folding this one and all he could see was the back.  He said it was very German.  I hadn't thought about that when I was putting it together, but he's right, and now all I can see is the German flag.


If time and money allowed, I would love to make more blankets for Project Linus.  I have a few more in various stages of progress that I will keep working on.  In the meantime, I'll get these turned in, and hopefully they will find their way to some kids who really need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment