Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Project Linus Quilt: 2nd Grade

Malcolm's teacher was receptive when I asked if she would be interested in letting me come in and do a quilt project with the class.  I did a similar project last year with his first grade class, but I made a few changes and it went better this year.

I started by reading The Quiltmaker's Gift to the class.  It's a long book, but it went better than the one I read last year about a pioneer family.  It has a great message about giving, is funny, and  ties in nicely with how we are making a quilt to give away.  I'll be taking this one to Project Linus.

Each student got a piece of grid interfacing and 25 fabric squares (5 of each of the 5 colors) to place on it however they liked.  Even though they were all given the same materials, no two blocks were the same.

Once they had their pattern set, they glued down each square.



 I collected all the completed blocks, then ironed the squares into place and sewed the blocks.  I sent in one of the sewn blocks with my son so the kids could see how they are put together.

 I needed three more blocks to make the quilt come out even, so my son, daughter, and husband each made one for me.

 I love the finished quilt and am happy that I decided to place the blocks on an angle.  The grey fabric has a speckled, gravel look to it and the light green and aqua blocks have wavy lines that gave it a watery look.  It reminded me a lot of the streams from our Smoky Mountain trip last year, so I named it "Stoney Stream."



I took the finished quilt back for the class to see and they were so cute.  They were very excited to see the finished product and many of them couldn't keep their hands off of it.  Several of them were trying to snuggle it.  Hopefully, whomever gets it likes it as much as my son's class seems to.

No comments:

Post a Comment