Friday, January 7, 2011

Birthday Dress

I had big plans to make Dorothy a special dress for her first birthday.  I could picture it perfectly in my mind, but held off on starting it until the kitchen set was completed.  So, the night before her birthday, I came up with a pattern and almost finished sewing the dress.  Around two in the morning, I was making more mistakes than doing things right, so I headed off to bed with plans to finish up in the morning.  I put the finishing touches on it while she ate breakfast and it was done in time for her to wear it while opening her presents.

The dress is reversible.  One side is pink corduroy with a cupcake on the chest, the other is green corduroy with a black velvet panda.  I put a ruffle of the green corduroy around the bottom that shows no matter which side is being worn.  I used a dress she already has that fits as a pattern template.  There are a few changes I would make if I was to try this again, but overall, it turned out well considering I was pretty much winging it and did it (mostly) in one night.






When she wore it on her birthday, I only had one set of buttons sewn on. They way I did it, when the cupcake side was being worn out, the buttons faced the inside, but it wasn't laying quite right as you can see.



On the other hand, it looked great from the front. I have added a second set of buttons so that it will lay nicely no matter which way it is being worn.

1 comment:

  1. It's adorable (as is Dorothy)! You should set up an Etsy store - I bet people would snap those up.

    - Amy (Bijou)

    ReplyDelete