Friday, April 29, 2011

Shirred Set

So, remember the shirred dress that is really a top? Well, I finally got around to making the bloomers to go with it. My original plan was to have some adorable red ribbon ruffles on the butt to go with the red ribbon ties on the shoulders. The problem was that I didn't check my pattern before I started and I used the wrong one; so, no ruffles. It is still very cute though.

I ended up ripping out the shirring I did originally and doing it over again, and it is much better now. When I tried it on Dorothy the first time, two of my shirred rows started to pull out even though I had doubled back on them. The stitches were just too long to hold really well. I had read on some other tutorials that they suggested tying the two elastic ends together, so I still went over my stitches, but then I also tied them and they seem to be holding. Now, they also line up in the back, so it looks much better overall.


Dorothy shows off her new outfit.



Yup. Still two pieces.



She was moving around a lot, so it was hard to get a good picture to show off the outfit.

For the bloomers, I used the shirring technique to get the ruffles around the leg and it worked much better than casing the elastic like the direction say to. I did that last time, and they always looked a little funny. This time, I made the length about 1/2 an inch shorter, did a rolled hem, then did the first row of shirring just above the hem. I did the second shirred row very close to the first. It ruffles so much nicer without the added weight and bulk of the casing and elastic. I could get it closer to the hem too which is where I prefer it.

There are a few things I want to do differently next time.  First, I want to cut small curves for her arms.  This top is just a plain rectangle and I think it will sit better if it has just a little shape to it.  I will also put the straps on after the shirring instead of before.  The front straps are not even now, but they were before I shirred it.  Next time, I'll wait and see how it lays before adding straps.

I want to use this technique to make a dress and a long romper.  Hopefully, I will get both done soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment