Sunday, November 13, 2011

Non-Obnoxious Alphabet Magnets

I was inspired by this blog post to make some non-obnoxious alphabet magnets. So simple! So cute! So, why hadn't I thought of this yet?

I drug the kids out to the craft store with me and purchased my supplies. I even found the perfect color of yellow spray paint, on clearance for $2. Excited to get started, I sprayed one side of the disks as soon as the kids went down for a nap.



I used a black metallic spray paint that we already had, leftover from another project I hope to someday finish and then blog about. Then I flipped them over and sprayed the other side yellow.





Once they were dry, I pulled out my rub on letters and got to work. I had never used rub on transfers before and was pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to work with. I've been dreaming up all sorts of projects where I can use rub on transfers. The next night, I glued magnets to the back of the disks, and they are done! I used a stronger magnet than the tutorial called for. I'm tired of our fridge magnets sliding down and I am going to replace them all with these nice strong ones. How do I feel about our new alphabet magnets? I...



I'm going to give these to one or both of the kids for Christmas. I haven't decided who gets what yet. They might each get a set in their stockings. I did both upper and lower case and made a few extras of the letters in their names. My transfers came with lots of E's but not many O's. I bought an extra sheet so they can both spell their full names at the same time.

I did not distress mine like in the tutorial, but they still have a rustic charm about them.  I didn't spray a protective coating on like I thought about, so I expect that they will become distressed with use soon enough.  I didn't do anything special to the edges.  They are a bit uneven from whatever spray paint happened to reach them, but I liked how they looked, so I left them alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment