Thursday, December 8, 2011

Little Girl Dresses

I've been busy finishing off some half-done projects, but hadn't wanted to post them since they were to be gifts.  Now that they are in the mail, I'll share.


First, I finally finished a criss-cross pinafore for a friend who adopted an adorable baby girl a few months ago. I am hoping that this will still fit next summer. I made it around a 12 month size, but I tried it on Dorothy and it fit her too (she wears an 18 month size). Luckily, this style is pretty forgiving with the sizing.

Front view.



Back view.  I just love the eyelet all along the back and on the butt.  It is even; the straps are just laying funny.



I had been wanting to make this Go-To Dress for a while. My first attempt was a disaster from end to end. The knit fabric I had was so thin, that my machine just ate it instead of stitching it. The appliqued apple was just horrendous too. I have never seen an applique pull the fabric around like it did on this one. I went back to the fabric store to find a knit fabric that was a little heavier weight and found this gorgeous plum stretch corduroy. I didn't even know that made stretch corduroy, but it is so soft and cozy. It looks a little shiny in the photo, but it isn't that way in real life. It sewed beautifully and made a very sweet dress for Dorothy.

I am going to make two small changes the next time I make one. First, I will make the elastic at the waist a bit tighter. It looks good in the front here, but the back is hardly gathered at all. Once this comes trough the wash, I'll tighten this one up. I will also stretch the neckband a little more when sewing it on. The neck hole is a little big, but not terrible. Stretching the neckband should take care of that.

It is a little hard to get a photo of her because she is constantly on the go.  Please ignore the cat, necklace, and magformers.  I accidentally left the sleeves rolled up after lunch, but it does have long sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment