Saturday, January 21, 2012

Korean Dragon

I have had a shirt sitting in my sewing room, ready to be embroidered for a couple of months.  Malcolm had a pair of pants and a fleece sweatshirt that were both solid colors and needed a little something to tie them together.  I used the pants color (grey) and the sweatshirt color (periwinkle) in the design to make it a complete outfit.  I love how this dragon turned out and he might make some appearances on some other clothes. Malcolm is getting to that age where some things are a little too young looking, while others are too mature. I think this design is grown up enough for him to wear for a long time, but not so mature that it looks out of place on a 4.5 year old.





After it was done, I wished that I had used a peach-y apricot color thread instead of the yellow, but the yellow looks good too. The shirt is a very deep, bright green that is more vibrant than in the photo. I can't wait for nice weather so I can take pictures outside again.

After I started making the dragon, I took a break and told Malcolm about it. It had been a while since I had talked with him about my plans for this shirt, and I think he forgot about our talk. I asked him, "You like dragons, right?" and he answered me, "No," in a tone that indicated that I clearly didn't know him at all. However, when he wore it to school a day or two later, he very proudly showed it off to everyone. I had told him that it was a Korean Dragon, but he had a really hard time pronouncing "Korean" and they thought he said "Norwegian." I was momentarily confused when his teachers said they liked his Norwegian dragon. I thought maybe he had made a dragon at school until I remembered what he was wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment