Saturday, January 19, 2013

Bow Holder

Dorothy's hair bows have been a bit out of control for a while now.  She needs to wear one (or something) to keep her hair out of her face, but finding one that was the right color can be frustrating when digging through a little basket on the way out the door.  I looked at some ribbon bow holders for sale and scoffed at the price.  Seriously, they are not hard to make, so I headed out to the craft store and bought my supplies.  Instead of just hanging it on the wall, I wanted to have some shelves so that I could put other hair things (rubber bands and such) in little boxes or baskets to keep everything in one place.  I found a cute little stair step wall mounted...thing, that had three pegs I could hang the bow holder off of. 

Then, everything sat in my sewing room for about three months before I got irritated enough that I wanted that pile of stuff cleaned up and gone out of my room.  Once I sat down and did it, it took me less than ten minutes.  However, it did take another couple of weeks before it got hung up. *blush* 

It's up now and is mostly great.  There are two minor problems.  It is a little dark where we hung it, so matching colors is sometimes a bit of a challenge.  Also, it is upstairs in her room, and we keep forgetting, and have to run upstairs to retrieve a bow.  This isn't much different than before though, just that we would take a bow out of her hair for nap and leave it up there, then we couldn't find it a couple of days later when we needed it.  At least now, we can hopefully get them all back in one location and can see them all at once to know which one to grab.

Someday, we will get that closet door replaced and it will be white.  Of course it isn't a standard size and ordering a custom one is ridiculously expensive, so we keep putting it off.

Next, I want to make or find some cute boxes or baskets to put on each "step" to hold other little hair things.  I love having them sorted by color type.  The first ribbon is "neutrals" (white, ivory, black, brown, grey).  Next is the "warm colors" (reds, orange, yellow, and pink).  Why does she have so many pink bows?  She doesn't even wear that much pink.  The last ribbon are the "cool colors" (greens, blues, and purples).  She wears a lot of blues and greens, but I can't always find the right shade to match.  I might need to experiment with making her some bows.  I made a couple a while back, but I should give it a shot again.  I could probably do it for less then I buy them for, and they would match better.

No comments:

Post a Comment